TIMELINE OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROPOSALS FOR THE PEACE OF MOTHER EARTH
AUTHOR: DR. WILLIAM SOTO SANTIAGO
- During the realization of the First International Forum "New Proposals for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide", in Bogotá, Colombia, September 2014, Dr. William Soto Santiago presented the proposal to begin a work in America for the prevention and punishment of the crime of ecocide.
- In this sequence of ideas, as is the obligation of the states, the typification of genocide, the call to the congresses and the legislative assemblies, the states where the crime of genocide has not been typified, for the respect of human dignity and knowing the sovereignty and autonomy of the peoples, the Penal Code is modified and they are typified as the crime of the international community, as the crime of crimes, that is, as genocide. As well as ecocide, another international crime against peace that is not yet typified, but no less harmful because it is a severe attack against planet Earth.
- To achieve this objective of criminalization and punishment of the crime of genocide, and international crimes, the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace through the Project Council is preparing the corresponding laws; which will appear before the Congresses for their discussion.
- In the same event, Dr. Luis Antonio Ortiz, magistrate emeritus of the Supreme Court of Justice of Venezuela, took the presentation: "Ecocide: The fifth international crime against peace that has not yet been typified", where he briefly describes the trajectory of the crime of ecocide in the world.
- This introduction of the topic was the starting point to expand the studies on Ecocide and to conform the project so that this crime can be typified in the countries of America.
- In the Second International Forum "New Proposals for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide" held in November 2014 in Argentina, and then in the Third International Forum "New Proposals for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide" held in February 2015 in Mexico, we continued to socialize with other experts on the topic of Ecocide, starting with discussions and participations with different experts on environmental justice.
Read "New Proposals"
Read "Justice for Peace"
- In April 2015, during the Meeting of the Parliamentary Confederation of the Americas (COPA) in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the proposal was presented: "The Commitment of Humanity with Mother Earth", which included the project to typify "ECOCIDIO" and a law for its classification, prevention and punishment. In addition, preliminary drafts were presented for the drafting of other instruments of governance and environmental justice, such as the Proclamation of the Rights of Mother Earth, and the Court for the affairs of Mother Earth.
Read "The Commitment of Humanity"
- In July 2015, conferences, meetings and consultation meetings with different actors of the civil society began to enrich the instruments of Governance and Environmental Justice of the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace.
Read "Venezuela starts"
Read "The GEAP and Indigenous Peoples"
- In this month of July 2015, the "Encounters of the Children of the Mother Earth" began in Venezuela and Mexico, pilot activities with the indigenous peoples and nations of the Americas, where participation spaces were opened to express their concerns and give their proposals in the construction of the projects of governance and environmental justice that the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace has been working on.
Read "Historical Encounter"
Read "Indigenous representatives meet with executives of the GEAP"
- In July 2015, at the Extraordinary Environment and Tourism Commission Meeting of the Latin American and Caribbean Parliament, held in Panama, the environmental proposals related to the recognition of Mother Earth as a living being were presented, the Inter-American Court for the Affairs of Mother Earth and the Framework Law for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Ecocide. At that time, the commission was chaired by Deputy Ana Elisa Osorio. The participation of the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace was reviewed as follows in the minutes of that meeting:
- "The work of the Environment and Tourism Commission of Parlatino is resumed, beginning with the intervention of William Soto, president, of the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace, stating mainly "DO NOT CHANGE THE CLIMATE, CHANGE THE SYSTEM " and giving a lecture - For the restoration of harmony between the human being and Mother Earth - a discourse that incorporates Ecocide as an environmental crime and proposes the creation of an Inter-American Court in defense of the rights of Mother Earth, consigned the Commission for a proposal stating the reasons for the aforementioned Law."
Read "The GEAP presents its project to the Latin American Parliament"
- In September 2015, the invitation to join the General Assembly of COPA in Mexico was attended, to present the extended proposal on Ecocide and the other mentioned instruments before the parliamentarians and personalities attending.
Read XIV COPA General Assembly
- In October 2015, a commission from the Global Embassy of Activists for Peace presented the expanded environmental proposals to the XXIV MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE ON THE ENVIRONMENT AND TOURISM OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN PARLIAMENT, and the following was stated in the minutes:
- The hearing began with the discussion of the first point, as did Dr. Francisco Guerra, special guest, who spoke on the Framework Law for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Ecocide, whose considerations were very well received by the members of the commission and that is proposed for its incorporation for the 2016 agenda, which was also considered for the second point in relation to the topic of the Latin American Pact.
- In November 2015, in the first edition of the Peace Integration Summit (CUMIPAZ) held in Chile, the projects on governance and environmental justice instruments were socialized, and some of the participants mentioned the importance of working for the consolidation of these proposals in their statements, which was established in the Declaration of CUMIPAZ 2015.
Read "Peace Integration Summit Declaration CUMIPAZ-2015"
- In December 2015, a special visit was made to the headquarters of the Organization of American States, for a meeting with the Secretary General of said organization, Dr. Luis Almagro Lemes, to officially present the environmental proposals of the Global Embassy of Activists. La Paz, leaving the commitment to deliver the expanded and final projects for review by 2016.
Read "GEAP arrives at the Organization of American States"
- In March 2016, the international cycle of the "Encounters of the Children of Mother Earth" was officially launched, which was carried out during 2016 and 2017, in 9 regions of the Americas, in order to have spaces for dialogue and construction with the peoples and indigenous nations of America to contribute with their proposals in the drafting of the instruments of Governance and Environmental Justice of the GEAP. These activities began in Mexico; FOUR international encounters and more than 60 national and regional meetings were held.
Read "International Encounter of the Children of the Mother Earth"
Read "Colombia hosted the 2nd International Encounter of Children of Mother Earth"
Read "Indigenous people of Central America"
Read "United States: Headquarters for the 4th International Encounter of the Children of Mother Earth"
VIDEO SUMMARY ENCOUNTERS CHILDREN OF MOTHER EARTH
- In October 2016, during the Second Edition of the Peace Integration Summit in Paraguay, the Secretary General of the Organization of American States, Dr. Luis Almagro Lemes, was admitted to the project of INTER-AMERICAN ENVIRONMENTAL CHARTER and the projects: Proclamation of the Constitution of the Rights of Mother Earth, Framework Law for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Ecocide, The Court or Special Chamber for the Defense of Environmental Rights and Mother Earth, and the Proposals of Indigenous Peoples for Environmental Peace of Mother Earth.
Read "The OAS receives the official proposal for the creation of the Inter American Environmental Charter"
- This year was used to carry out socialization, consultation meetings and reviews of these projects of Governance and Environmental Justice, before universities, communities, environmental organizations, indigenous peoples and nations and other international meetings, standing out the official presentation before the Permanent Forum of the United Nations for Indigenous Affairs, in April 2017.
Read "The GEAP is present during the UN Permanent Forum"
Read "Fraternization Dinner Conference for Peace with Indigenous Leaders in the World"
- In January 2018, conversations began with the Secretary of Integral Development (SEDI) of the Organization of American States in Washington, USA, and with the permanent missions of its Member States, in order to begin the process for the introduction of the draft of the Inter-American Environmental Charter before the OAS. This work was carried out between the months of January and April of 2018.
- In April 2018, we were once again present at the Permanent Forum of the United Nations for Indigenous Affairs, for bilateral meetings and to consolidate ties of friendship and support for the Coalition of the Inter-American Environmental Charter to the OAS.
Read "The GEAP present at the UNFPII 17: Forum of Indigenous Peoples at the United Nations"
During this month, the Signing Campaign for the Inter-American Environmental Charter and the Proclamation of the Constitution of the Rights of Mother Earth began. For the month of January 2019, the goal of more than 1 million citizen signatures was exceeded.
Read "Signature to support the Proclamation of the Constitution of the Rights of Mother Earth"
- In April 2018, began the work to socialize between local and regional governments the environmental proposals, in order to obtain official decrees and manifestos declaring Planet Earth as a living being and supporting the principles and values of the Inter-American Environmental Charter . As of March 2019, there are more than 850 cities in America that have issued these decrees and supporting the Coalition for the Inter-American Environmental Charter.
Read "Cities Of America united for the Peace of Mother Earth"
Leer "Gobernaciones se unen a la campaña por la paz de la Madre Tierra"
Read "438 cities of America declare Planet Earth as a living being"
Read "Federation of Green Parties of the Americas agrees to support the Inter-American Environmental Charter"
Read "America is the Continent that recognizes the Planet Earth as a Living Being"
Leer "Gobiernos regionales de cinco países de América reconocen al Planeta Tierra como Ser Vivo"
See "658 endorsements for the Inter-American Environmental Charter"
- In June 2018, the Coalition for the Inter-American Environmental Charter was officially presented to the Organization of American States during the Dialogue of Civil Actors with the Permanent Representatives of this organization.
Read "The GEAP in a coalition of proactive dialogue with the OAS"
Read "The OAS turned green during World Environment Day"